Dialysis access for renal failure patients can be a challenging field. At Yarra Vascular Surgeons, we specialise in dialysis access surgery and recognise and maintain that a truly multi-disciplinary approach is vital for this complex disease. We foster a strong relationship with our kidney specialist (nephrologist) colleagues to assist in determining the optimal mode and method of renal replacement therapy for the individual.
- Arteriovenous fistula or graft – a surgically created connection between the artery and the vein, that enables repetitive needling for repetitive withdrawal and injection of blood for arteriovenous dialysis
- Tunnelled catheters – a surgically inserted tube (‘Perm Cath’ or similar) into a large vein that allows repetitive withdrawal and injection of blood for arteriovenous dialysis. This is typically in one of the large veins of the neck (jugular vein)
- Peritoneal dialysis catheter – a surgically inserted tube (‘Tenckhoff’ catheter or similar) into the abdominal cavity that allows access for peritoneal dialysis
We place arteriovenous fistulas on a regular surveillance plan as they often need repeated procedures to maintain good flows for efficient dialysis. These procedures can usually be performed minimally invasively through endovascular techniques.
What Makes Us Different
First group Vascular practice in Melbourne which means that you will always receive 24/7 care.
Full range of minimally
invasive and surgical options.
Complimentary vein screening assessment for new patients.
Experience dealing with
complex cases with a multi-team approach.
Options for both insured and non-insured patients.
Payment plan options
Experts in the very latest in minimal invasive endovascular techniques.
Wide range of consulting locations in Victoria.
Book your initial consultation to receive a thorough assessment of your condition
- Yarra Vascular Surgeons consult at various locations across Victoria.
- We offer initial consultations and review appointments, and we can see patients who would like a second opinion.
- At Yarra Vascular Surgeons we aim to see all referrals within two weeks or less, depending on the urgency of the condition.
- We are focussed on providing accessible and timely care to our patients, eliminating waiting times and providing an after hours service.