Depending on the severity and location of the problem, chronic blockages of the veins caused by deep vein thrombosis typically in the leg or pelvis can be re-opened with balloon angioplasty or stenting to restore blood flow and reduce the symptoms of post thrombotic syndrome and chronic venous hypertension including swelling, pain, skin damage and ulceration.
Endovascular venous procedures can be performed under local anaesthetic usually via a small needle into femoral or popliteal vein in the groin or leg. Through this needle, a wire and small tube are inserted into the vein and we can treat narrowed and blocked veins with specialised wires, balloons, stents and devices.
The main techniques include:
- Balloon angioplasty targets and ‘stretches’ up the narrowed or blocked section of vein. The balloon is not permanent and does not stay within the artery and is removed at the end of the procedure.
- Stenting uses specialised metallic scaffolds to keep open the narrowed or blocked section of vein. Stents are permanent once placed and stay within the vein.
- Pharmaco-mechanical thrombolysis uses a ‘clot busting’ medication in combination with mechanical disruption and suction of the clot to remove the blockage and restore patency of the deep vein
Intravascular ultrasound (IVUS) can be utilised to evaluate the cross sectional diameter and area of the vein channel, thereby looking at the vein channel in concert with traditional 2D angiography to achieve a more detailed assessment of the narrowing.
At Yarra Vascular Surgeons, we are proud to have been involved in establishing one of Melbourne’s most comprehensive public hospital complex venous treatment centres at The Northern Hospital in Epping. We have been involved with hosting many world class surgeons and complex venous workshops.
What Makes Us Different
First group Vascular practice in Melbourne which means that you will always receive 24/7 care.
Full range of minimally
invasive and surgical options.
Complimentary vein screening assessment for new patients.
Experience dealing with
complex cases with a multi-team approach.
Options for both insured and non-insured patients.
Payment plan options
Experts in the very latest in minimal invasive endovascular techniques.
Wide range of consulting locations in Victoria.
Book your initial consultation to receive a thorough assessment of your condition
- Yarra Vascular Surgeons consult at various locations across Victoria.
- We offer initial consultations and review appointments, and we can see patients who would like a second opinion.
- At Yarra Vascular Surgeons we aim to see all referrals within two weeks or less, depending on the urgency of the condition.
- We are focussed on providing accessible and timely care to our patients, eliminating waiting times and providing an after hours service.