Varicose veins are one of the most common vascular conditions and can present in many forms with varying degrees of severity. Up to 25% of the population will suffer from Varicose Veins in their lifetime with women being affected more than men. Varicose veins can present in all age groups, however tend to be more common as we get older. Varicose veins can be idiopathic (no cause found), however can also be linked to certain occupations that involve standing for prolonged periods of time, family history, pregnancy and certain genetic conditions.
The symptoms of Varicose Veins can include:
- Small cosmetic spider veins most commonly in the legs
- Clusters of visible veins
- Swelling and tiredness of the leg, particularly at the end of the day
- Large bulky and ropy veins
- Bleeding from veins and clots in the veins
- Venous eczema with skin changes and pigmentation
- Venous ulceration with loss of skin integrity and infection
Given the wide range of symptoms it is important to note that one treatment does not fit all.
At Yarra Vascular Surgeons you will receive a comprehensive evaluation which includes an on site vein ultrasound scan that is performed by a specialist vascular ultrasound sonographer. This scan particularly focuses on leaky veins which is the most common cause of varicose veins.
After a thorough assessment of your condition and investigations, our vascular surgeons will advise you on the optimal treatment option for your varicose veins.
In some cases, the varicose veins can be treated with minor procedures, whilst in others more invasive surgical treatment is required in order to prevent further complications.
Our surgeons are highly skilled in performing cosmetic procedures for spider veins and both minimally invasive varicose vein treatments (endovenous radiofrequency ablation and sclerotherapy) and open varicose veins surgery.
Varicose Veins Videos
What Makes Us Different
First group Vascular practice in Melbourne which means that you will always receive 24/7 care.
Full range of minimally
invasive and surgical options.
Complimentary vein screening assessment for new patients.
Experience dealing with
complex cases with a multi-team approach.
Options for both insured and non-insured patients.
Payment plan options
Experts in the very latest in minimal invasive endovascular techniques.
Wide range of consulting locations in Victoria.
Book your initial consultation to receive a thorough assessment of your condition
- Yarra Vascular Surgeons consult at various locations across Victoria.
- We offer initial consultations and review appointments, and we can see patients who would like a second opinion.
- At Yarra Vascular Surgeons we aim to see all referrals within two weeks or less, depending on the urgency of the condition.
- We are focussed on providing accessible and timely care to our patients, eliminating waiting times and providing an after hours service.